Top Menu

What The Increased Demand Means in Your County

Just wanted to talk about the volume of people applying for concealed weapon permits right now and what that means to you. This week two of our students who live in Denver County have contacted me. Denver County requires you have an appointment to apply for your permit. Upon contacting the county to schedule their appointment one of our students was told the next available time was in May. The other was told the next appointment time was in April. I really struggle to understand this. Denver County is no more slammed with application than any of the other counties (like Jefferson) and yet they appear unable to be able to keep up with demand.

Also, a student from Adams County has found that the county will only accept a limited number (he was told 20) applicants per day. When our student arrived at the county building at 7:40am, 20 minutes before they open, he found he was too late. He was told that in order to be among the first 20 people to apply he should plan on showing up around 6am.

You would think that the counties would be happy to receive the increased revenue in a time when everyone is crying for more funding. The counties can charge up to $100 per applicant and that is of course in addition to the $52.50 state fee. I don’t want to be fast to judge. I suppose that this type of increase in demand would be difficult to handle for any agency as they no doubt have not been able to add resources to keep up with the number of CCW applications.

That said, if you live in Denver county let me suggest you call and get your appointment right away before coming to the class. This is good advice regardless of in what county you reside. Here is our directory of the county sheriff offices.

Second, let me also remind you that you can apply in the county in which you reside or in which you own a business.

, , ,

7 Responses to What The Increased Demand Means in Your County

1. Jason January 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

I went into the Jefferson County office on the Monday morning after training. Got there at 8:15 and there was only one person ahead of me. I was out by 8:45 and they told me it should be completed in 6-8 weeks. Easy peasy!

2. Doug January 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

fro the adams county sherrif’s web page

Effective Janurary 29,2013 New Handgun Applications will only be accepted on:

Tuesday & Thursday 12:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Concealed Handgun Permits

Due to an increase in application volume, NEW concealed handgun permit applications are limited to 20 applications on each intake day. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. As always, applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. If paying in cash, you must have exact change as we cannot make change or accept anything other than the exact amount.

• admin January 28, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Thanks Doug.

3. Emily February 22, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Adams County process is basically two steps and takes all day. I went yesterday (2/21/13) to submit my permit application and here’s my experience:

I had talked to a gal that works there the day prior and she reiterated that it IS a “first come, first served” basis and they do limit the apps to 20 on Tuesdays and Thursdays only and it’s 12:00 to 4:00pm. She told me that if I showed up at 6:00am that I’d most likely be too late.

I showed about at about 4:00am and was the 5th car there. Please note that this particular morning was after getting 6″ of snow and still snowing. I do think the weather helped keep some people home that day though. Anyway, car #2 had taken the task of starting a list of people as they arrived. Even though there was a “list” the Sheriff and the gal working there don’t care one thing about it. It is an honor system and I don’t recommend relying too heavily on it if someone there has started one.

At about 0730 people started gathering around the front door waiting for it to open. I believe our “list” had 22 people on it. At 8:00am on the dot they unlock the door and people go in. Please take note that they open the LEFT door. People standing in front of the right door were later in line regardless of the “list” (I was #5 on the list but ended up being #8 in line). The Sheriff looks over your app, driver’s license and other ID (birth cert or passport) and then hands it back to you. You then go to the gal and she asks your form of payment, writes your DL# down and hands you a laminated card with a number on it. They tell you to come back at about 11:45a with all your stuff and you leave. I was out of there at 8:10a.

At 12:00p they start calling #’s (1-20) and you give your stuff (sign the app), do the prints, photo, etc and go. It takes about 15-20 min per person. As I said I was #8 and I left around 1:15.
    Their website states “1200 – 4:00pm” but this is rather erroneous because if you show up at noon you’re NO WAY going to get your new permit submitted that day. (Renewals are a whole ‘nother story and reportedly a MUCH easier and quicker process)

The whole process kinda reminded me of Jury duty. The gal did tell us all that they will be starting an on-line process “soon” where you sign up ahead of time. She also said that yesterday was abnormally slow (I’m guessing because of the snow) and that usually when they open the doors on the intake mornings there’s between 40 and 60 people there.

My advice: get there unreasonably early, be assertive with your assumed “position in the line”, empty your bladder before leaving the house and don’t drink too much coffee while waiting for the doors to open.

4. Josh March 3, 2013 at 9:02 am #

The online appointment schedule is up for Adams County.

5. Gary West March 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Larimer County was very courteous and quick, about 15 minutes start to finish. I had filled out the application form ahead of time, had my CBI payment ready and cash for the SO fee. While I was there, the two deputies were processing 4-5 applications. They did warn that the wait time for the permit would be about 2-3 months.

6. Josh March 26, 2013 at 10:32 am #

I went through the new Adams County CCW process this morning. It is VERY simple. I showed up about 10 mins before my appointment time, they called my name, checked over and copied my documents, they copied the original training course certificate and gave me the original back, took my fingerprints and I was done, took about 10 mins.

They said it takes about 85-88 days to process.